Please join us for a panel discussion featuring accomplished women to hear their stories of overcoming obstacles and becoming... more
Set Up Your Free Website
Find Your Neighborhood or Organization
State Information: NEW YORK
Welcome to New York! Looking for local information? Take in hometown perspectives from individual neighborhood and HOA websites. Participate in community discussions, get instant real estate values, and view some great photos of New York. Explore a map of New York, learn about local schools, and review regional sex offender information. Find more resources with nearby cities and counties, and a list of New York zip codes. Want to connect with your community? Set up a free HOA or neighborhood website now!
New York Profile
The Dutch West India Company established the first settlement at Fort Orange near present day Albany in 1624 and another in New Amsterdam on the site of present day Manhanttan a year later. After the English took over in the 1660s, the colony was renamed New York, after the Duke of York. One of the original 13 states to join the Union (it entered in 1788), New York is known as the "Empire State." The state includes everything from skyscrapers in Manhattan to rivers, mountains, and lakes in upstate New York. Today, New York has the third largest population (after California and Texas), and remains the financial center of the country. The state flower is the rose, and the capital is Albany. ...Read more here: New York - The Empire State
- Capital City:
- Empire State / Excelsior State
- Excelsior (Ever upward)
- July 26, 1788 (11th)
- Origin of State's Name:
- Named after England's Duke of York.
- Largest Cities:
- New York, Buffalo, Rochester, Yonkers, Syracuse
- Border States:
- Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Vermont
- Land Area:
- 47,224 sq.mi., 30th largest
- State Bird:
- State Flower:
- Rose (rosa)
- State Tree:
- Sugar Maple (acer saccharum)
- State Song:
- I Love New York
Featured Community Websites in New York
- 112th Precinct Community Council
- 47th Precinct Community Council
- Brooklyn Community Gardeners
- Clinton/Hells Kitchen Pedestrian Safety Coalition
- Crescent Estates South
- Good Old Lower East Side
- Kissena Park Civic Association
- Wakefield Taxpayers & Civic League, Inc.
- West 46th Street Block Association, Inc.
- Woodlawn Heights Taxpayers and Community Association, Inc.
Real Estate & Home Values in New York
Home Buyer and Seller Resources
- Does Mortgage Aid Hurt Your Credit?
- Loan Modification: Is it Right for You?
- Should You Refinance Your Mortgage?
- First Time Homebuyers Guide
- Financial Assistance for First Time Homebuyers
- Do You Qualify for an FHA Loan?
- Homeowners insurance: What you need to know
- Home Maintenance Checklist
- What Is A Short Sale?
- What Is A Deed-In-Lieu?
- Reverse mortgage: the pros and cons
- How to Sell Your Home In a Down Market
- 2009 Mortgage Bailout Explained
- Obama Stimulus Plan FAQ
- Search For Foreclosures
- New York Apartments
Instant Home Value!
Recent Home Value Searches
- Naked Truth Ministries
- Memphis TN 38109
Cities, Counties, and Zip Codes in New York
New York Schools
Find A School
Browse all 4723 Schools in New York
- Forest Brook Elementary School
- (631) 265-3265
- Lilac Lane
- Smithtown, NY 11787
- Roxboro Road Elementary School
- (315) 218-2700
- 200 Bernard Street
- Syracuse, NY 13211
- Chautauqua Lake Middle School
- (716) 753-5872
- 100 North Erie Street
- Mayville, NY 14757
- Manhasset Middle School
- (516) 267-7500
- 200 Memorial Place
- Manhasset, NY 11030
- Fannie Lou Hamer Freedom School
- (718) 861-0521
- 1021 Jennings Street
- Bronx, NY 10460
- High School For Arts And Business
- (718) 271-8383
- 105 25 Horace Harding Expw
- Corona, NY 11368
Sex Offender Information for New York
For most citizens, the easiest method to obtain accurate and timely sex offender information for their local area is to visit their state sex offender registry website. States are required to provide this information for free. You do not need to pay for this information.
In New York, the registered sex offenders can be found at http://www.criminaljustice.state.ny.us/nsor/. Please be sure to read all the disclaimers provided by the state.
For more information check out the resources listed below: