Franklinton, one of the first villages in the Northwest Territory and the oldest community in Central Ohio, was founded at the confluence of the Scioto and the Olentangy river in 1797 by Lucas Sullivant, a surveyor for the United States government.
Sullivant laid out the initial settlement of nine streets. A portion of his “development” was set aside for free lots to anyone interested in settling in his new village. These lots were located on what was appropriately named Gift Street. That street name still exists today.
Franklinton was a town of a few hundred people when the War of 1812 was declared. Because of its central location and access to the rivers, the town was chosen as a rendezvous point and supply depot.
Franklinton took on a military appearance with as many as 3,000 troops housed there at one time. William Henry Harrison established his headquarters during the war in a house at the corner of Gift and Broad Street. That house, now called the Harrison House, has recently been restored by the Ohio Historical Society.