Visit the Courthouse at 225 Morgan Street,
New Orleans LA 70114.
The Algiers Courthouse stands on the site of one of the first plantation homes in Algiers and is the center of civic life in this part of New Orleans. Directly across the Mississippi River from Jackson Square, it is the notable landmark of Algiers viewed from the French Quarter. Built in 1896 to replace the plantation home burned in the Great Algiers Fire of 1895, the Courthouse is the architectural and historic ''heart'' of the Algiers Point National Register Historic District and City of New Orleans Historic District. The present buildings, the main Courthouse and the adjacent Stable, were completed in the Romanesque Revival style. Described by the New Orleans Times-Picayune as ''majestically reigning over the west bank of the Mississippi River, a handsome reminder of a different time,'' the Algiers Courthouse is the third oldest continuously-used courthouse in the State of Louisiana.