What Is The Alternate Minimum Tax (AMT)?


Find out if you need to pay under this separate tax system.

The Alternative Minimum Tax, or AMT, is a tax originally instituted more than 40 years ago to ensure wealthy taxpayers paid their fair share of taxes. The tax, however, was never adjusted for inflation, which means it now affects millions of middle-class Americans. This complicated parallel tax has its own set of rates, computations and paperwork.

How do I know if I owe the AMT?

There’s no real easy way to find out. If your gross income is above $75,000 or if you own a business, rental property, partnership interest or S corporation stock, you should run the numbers. To do so, you’ll need to fill out IRS Form 6251 in conjunction with Form 1040.

To Form 6251, you’ll need to add back in a few deductions to your regular taxable income, including your personal and dependent exemption deductions, your standard deduction (if you didn’t itemize), your state and local tax deductions, tax and investment expenses and your home equity loan interest (unless your loan was used solely for home improvements). Some additional itemized deductions and medical expenses may also need to be added back in. Then you can find out if you owe the AMT.

Luckily, there are easier ways to find out. You can hire professional help, purchase a tax preparation software or use the IRS’s online AMT Assistant. This tool won’t tell you what you owe, but it will tell you if you must pay the AMT.

How much AMT do I owe?

The maximum tax rate for the AMT is 28 percent. While this is well below the regular maximum tax rate of 35 percent, more income is taxable and available deductions aren’t as favorable—which means if you have to pay the AMT, you’ll likely end up paying more in taxes.

It’s not all bad, though. While you do lose a number of regular deductions, you gain a few small tax breaks. You can deduct refunds from state, local and foreign taxes. And your tax basis for any stock shares you purchased is higher under the AMT, which lowers your taxes when you sell. You can also deduct the AMT exemption, which for the tax year 2011 currently amounts to $48,450 for single filers and $74,450 for joint filers.

Whether or not you end up owing the AMT, it’s a good idea to run the numbers to find out. Better that you find out you owe the tax rather than having the IRS make that discovery—otherwise, you could end up paying a whole lot more.

Source: Mydollarplan.com, Kiplinger, SmartMoney.com, Bankrate.com
Search All Articles
Related Articles
No Child Left Behind Increases Parents' Choices
Nclb_thHow No Child Left Behind provides educational choices
No Child Left Behind and Charter Schools
Apple_thHow Charter Schools work with the No Child Left Behind law
No Child Left Behind and School Safety
Books_thWhy No School Left Behind will make schools safer and more drug-free
Are You Ready for Earthquakes?
Areyouready_030_thHow to be better prepared in an Earthquake

Most Popular
First Time Home Buyer and Other Home Loan Programs - Pennsylvania
Houseredroof120The Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA) offers home loans with low interest rates and fees.
FHA 203K Loan
DisrepairhomesmThe FHA 203K loan program was designed to facilitate the purchase of homes that are in a state of disrepair.Sometimes know as...
Are You Prepared for a Blizzard?
Blizzard2017 saw some of the most extreme weather in years
What Is a Health Insurance Exchange?
RxsmLearn what a health insurance exchange is, and how it might benefit you.


Zip Code Profiler

Neighborhoods, Home Values, Schools, City & State Data, Sex Offender Lists, more.

Instant Home Value!