Silvercroft Association

Silvercroft Neighborhood Association Meeting Minutes

June 14, 2005

The meeting began at 7:00 p.m.

President Gloria Manzanedo called the meeting to order.

Visitors: Carol Ostrander, Westside HOPE, Pima Council on Aging; Peter Rico, Administrative Assistant to Jose Ibarra, Ward 1.
Members: Gloria Manzanedo, Norma Encinas, Frank Manzanedo, Eunice Santos, Annette Pless, Edna Varelas, Jan Foiles, Lupe Myers, Millie McCarley, Teresa Shank.
Silvercroft Youth present: Jaime Rivera, Brianda Guererro, Manuel Durazo

Secretary’s Report- none
Treasurer’s Report- none

-Silvercroft Wash - Copies of the successful PRO Neighborhoods Silvercroft Wash planning and design grant were passed out. The initial meeting will be Thursday, June 16 from 5:30-7:00 pm at 301 E Grant Road. B J Cordova of Tucson Clean and Beautiful notified Teresa that the wash adoption is a "go" and we will begin the wash cleanup when it cools off.
-Tucson Zoo Elephants - Read and approved draft and unanimously agreed to send letters to Mayor, City Manager and all Council members in support of keeping Shaba and Connie - Reid Park Zoo's elephants - in Tucson. Teresa will type for Gloria to sign. Teresa will mail.
-BICAS - Silvercroft youth, Jaime, Brianda and Manuel, presented information on the BICAS program they are attending with six other youth this summer. They shared about the bikes they are building and the skills they are learning. They were applauded for doing a great job.
-DEFY Camp - Gloria presented information about the DEFY camp July 11-15.
-Neighborhood Clean up and Potluck - Neighborhood cleanup will be Saturday, July 9. Albertson's has agreed to provide refreshments; Teresa will ask for ice, sodas, juice and breakfast items. Ward One will provide water, reserve the ramada, and arrange through DNR for roll-offs to be placed in the neighborhood. PCOA has some tools we can use. A sign up sheet was passed around for potluck items. Gloria will be in charge of the potluck.
-Dia de San Juan - Peter Rico stated that Dia de San Juan will be June 24 at West Congress Street at the Santa Cruz River, to celebrate the beginning of the monsoon. The celebration will feature food and drink, family entertainment , children's games and activities, dance groups and live music.
-Westside HOPE - Carol Ostrander provided information about Westside HOPE and Pima Council on Aging. Members present agreed to pursue a partnership with the existing program by means of a United Way grant, with assistance from Carol. Gloria, Millie and Teresa will work with Carol on the grant. The deadline is July 27, 2005. Teresa stated we couldn't apply for another PRO Neighborhood grant until the current one was done. We then discussed Ward 1 office providing some funding to pay youth from the neighborhood to do door to door surveys of neighbor needs and interest in this program. Millie will attend the Westside HOPE Steering Committee meeting at the Menlo Park office on June 23 at 6:00 pm.
-Neighborhood Yard Sale - possibly in September, will discuss further at next meeting.
-Weed & Seed Alternate - Edna Varelas moved for Teresa Shank to be the W & S alternate, Norma seconded, all agreed.
-Proposed Amendment to Bylaws - Teresa stated that the bylaws currently state that meeting notices must be received at least 10 days in advance of any membership meeting. This is having the effect of notices not being mailed at all, and neighbors having to walk the neighborhood to deliver the notices. Average meeting notice for other neighborhoods is 2-5 days. Suggested amendment to the bylaws would read "ARTICLE IV MEETINGS 1. c. At least a 4 (four) day notice shall be provided in advance of any membership meeting." This will be in the next newsletter and adopted at the next meeting, in accordance with DNR policy.
-Annual Calendar and Newsletter - Copies of the June newsletter were available, and will be delivered approximately July 28. Teresa asked for volunteers to help work on an annual events calendar so the association would be able to plan events more efficiently. She also asked for contributions to/help with neighborhood newsletter. Target delivery date for July newsletter is July 29. Deadline for submission is June 22.
-National Night Out - National Night Out is Tuesday, Aug 2 from 7-10 pm. The Target on Oracle has agreed to sponsor our neighborhood. The members that can will participate by turning on outside lights and being visible outside in the neighborhood. Suggestion was made that the police presence be in the area at the end of Riverview near the wash, with neighbors walking around and talking with them. This will be in the newsletter.
-July meeting - will be the cleanup, with potluck in the park after.
-August meeting - Our August 9 meeting will begin at 7pm at Bianichi's Italian Restaurant on the corner of Speedway and Silverbell.
Future Neighborhood events and calendar -
July: 9 -Cleanup and Potluck at the Park, 11- Brush & Bulky begins
August: 2- National Night Out, 9 - Meeting at Bianchi's with Guest Donna Lewandowski from "Safe Routes to School' (Back to School)
September: 13 - Meeting, TBA - Huge Neighborhood Yard Sale
October: 3-7 National Walk to School Week, 5 - Safe Walk to School Day, TBA - Wash Cleanup

Meeting was adjourned at 8:30 pm

Email us

Posted by tsshank on 06/19/2005
Sponsored Links
Advertise Here!

Promote Your Business or Product for $10/mo


For just $10/mo you can promote your business or product directly to nearby residents. Buy 12 months and save 50%!


Zip Code Profiler

85745 Zip Code Details

Neighborhoods, Home Values, Schools, City & State Data, Sex Offender Lists, more.