Whereas, the impact on the Pacific Palisades and particularly Santa Monica Canyon, of the proposed 10-month closure of the California Incline is potentially very detrimental to the local residents and could exacerbate existing traffic congestion and traffic safety issues; and
Whereas the PPCC understands that traffic will be routed via PCH to Entrada and West Channel Road where both intersections are already rated at the worst category (“F”) for traffic congestion; and
Whereas, the PPCC believes there are steps in the design and construction of this important project that can provide relief from the significant, anticipated, negative impacts of this project. These include design parameters, configuration of detour routes and expedited construction.
Now, Therefore, the PPCC Resolves that the following matters should be considered in mitigation of the negative aspects of this project and that Councilman Bill Rosendahl’s office be requested to make the amelioration of the negative impacts of this project a high priority of the City of Los Angeles in its dealings with the City of Santa Monica with respect to this project and that the City of Santa Monica and other appropriate officials be notified:
1. The PPCC recommends that the following be included in the design and implementation of this project:
· Construction shall proceed with the most modern project management techniques.
· Require around-the-clock construction effort [24/7] by the contractor with bonus for early completion and substantial penalties for preventable delays, such as was done by the C. C. Meyers firm with the Santa Monica Freeway reconstruction after the earthquake damage in the vicinity of La Cienega Blvd and the recent emergency 17-day freeway ramp reconstruction project in Alameda County.
· California Incline construction shall not commence until the Bluffs Improvement Project is completed.
· Before closure of the California Incline, Moomat Ahiko Way shall be restriped and the intersection of Moomat Ahiko Way and Ocean Avenue shall be reconfigured, including necessary and appropriate modifications to signalization and timing to permit two right-turning lanes onto Ocean Avenue.
· Upon closure of the Incline, traffic control personnel shall be assigned to the Moomat Ahiko Way and Ocean Avenue intersection to facilitate the movement of extended rush hour traffic through said intersection.
· Appian Way shall be opened to through traffic for the duration of the project
· Provide enhanced signage to direct traffic away from Santa Monica Canyon, including signs in Santa Monica, at a minimum on the following Streets at Ocean Ave, and elsewhere, as appropriate:
· Wilshire Blvd.,
· Santa Monica Blvd.,(SR-2)
· Broadway, and
directing traffic with arrows toward the pier/ramp to PCH with text: "All Beach Traffic" and "Construction Detour / California Incline Closed." Signs on Eastbound PCH should similarly direct traffic towards the Moomat Ahiko Way and Appian Way pier/ramp connectors to Ocean Avenue as well as the/ Lincoln Blvd. off-ramp, and NOT Santa Monica Canyon streets including West Channel Road, Entrada Drive, Ocean Avenue [Extension], Amalfi Drive, Mesa Road, Latimer Road and Brooktree..
· Develop a contingency plan to be implemented should Entrada Drive traffic back up to San Vicente Blvd. to divert traffic at 26th Street and other alternatives as identified by a thorough traffic study and implemented using programmable message boards, temporary signals, manual traffic control personnel or other necessary and appropriate measures.
· Design the new incline to permit Right turns for Westbound PCH traffic to reduce U-turns by tourists and visitors who realize they have passed the last opportunity to turn toward the City of Santa Monica.
2. RESOLVED FURTHER, that the Chairman of the PPCC is hereby authorized and instructed to write a letter to Councilman Rosendahl enclosing a copy of this duly adopted Resolution of the PPCC, notify other elected and appointed officials including CalTrans, and to take whatever additional steps the Chairman may believe are necessary or appropriate to further the intent of this resolution.
Dated and Adopted: June 8, 2006
Amended: June 14, 2007